(WASHINGTON) — New tests found Enfamil infant formula safe, after the death of a 10-day-old Missouri infant caused major retailers to remove cans of the formula from their shelves, the manufacturer said Sunday.
The tests were conducted by Mead Johnson Nutrition, which makes Enfamil and performed an original set of tests before the batch of formula was put on shelves.
“These new results reaffirm the testing conducted before the batch was made available to retailers and consumers. Based on both sets of tests, Mead Johnson can say with confidence that Enfamil Premium Newborn formula, like every infant formula the company produces, is safe,” read a statement from the company.
The batch of 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Premium Newborn formula, lot number ZP1K7G, came under scrutiny after the infant, identified by other media outlets as Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo., had allegedly consumed the formula before he became sick.
Preliminary tests found that he developed a rare infection from Cronobacter sakazakii, a bacteria that has previously been found in powdered infant formula. Thus far, health officials have not confirmed that the formula in question was the source of the baby’s infection.
The new test results came after major retailers across the country pulled the formula from their shelves. Following Walmart’s footsteps, Supervalu Inc., Walgreen Co., Kroger Co. and Safeway decided to clear their shelves last week of the batch in question.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services said in a statement samples of the formula were sent to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration for testing.
The FDA said so far, they “don’t have anything that indicates this is linked to Enfamil.” However, the agency is testing samples from the open packet of formula fed to the infant, an unopened packet of the formula and the water used to mix the formula. They expect results by the middle of next week.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio
Allana Kerr, KSL.com
Lois M. Collins, Deseret News