(NEW YORK) — Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol began the New Year the same way it ended the previous year: as box office champ.
The Tom Cruise sequel earned $38.3 million from Friday through Monday to win the box office for the second consecutive weekend. It has now made $141.2 million in the U.S.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked rounded out the top three. There were no movies that opened in wide release over the holiday weekend.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Monday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, $38.3 million.
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $26.5 million.
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $21 million.
4. War Horse, $19.2 million.
5. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, $19 million.
6. We Bought a Zoo, $16.5 million.
7. The Adventures of Tintin, $15 million.
8. New Year’s Eve, $7.7 million.
9. The Darkest Hour, $5.3 million.
10. The Descendants, $4.3 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Frank Pallotta, CNN Newswire
Jim Bennett, Deseret News