(NEW YORK) — Act of Valor sealed a box office win on its debut weekend by earning an estimated $24.7 million. The drama stars real-life Navy SEALs and provides a close look at their operations.
Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds premiered in second place, collecting $16 million. The previous box office champ, Safe House, fell to the fourth spot with $11.4 million.
The Jennifer Aniston-Paul Rudd comedy Wanderlust was a bust, bowing in at eighth place with $6.6 million. The Amanda Seyfried thriller Gone fared even worse, raising just $5 million in its first three days of release.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday with estimated ticket sales:
1. Act of Valor, $24.7 million.
2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds, $16 million.
3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, $13.5 million.
4. Safe House, $11.4 million.
5. The Vow, $10 million.
6. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, $8.8 million.
7. This Means War, $8.5 million.
8. Wanderlust, $6.6 million.
9. Gone, $5 million.
10. The Secret World of Arrietty, $4.5 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Brett Crandall, BYU-Idaho Communications
Michael Pearson, CNN Newswire