(NEW YORK) — Safe House made its home in the top spot at the box office over the holiday weekend.
The Denzel Washington-Ryan Reynolds thriller earned an estimated $28.4 million from Friday through Monday to climb to first place. Safe House opened in second place the previous week.
The Vow, which was the reigning box office champ entering the weekend, fell to the runner-up spot, with $26.6 million. The Nicolas Cage sequel Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance bowed in fourth place, with $25.7 million; the Reese Witherspoon comedy This Means War premiered in fifth place, with $20.4 million; and the animated Disney film The Secret Life of Arrietty opened in eighth place, with $8.1 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Monday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Safe House, $28.4 million.
2. The Vow, $26.6 million.
3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, $26.4 million.
4. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, $25.7 million.
5. This Means War, $20.4 million.
6. Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace (3D re-release), $10.2 million.
7. Chronicle, $9.2 million.
8. The Secret Life of Arrietty, $8.1 million.
9. The Woman in Black, $7.8 million.
10. The Grey, $3.8 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Lisa Respers France, CNN Newswire
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com