(NEW YORK) — 21 Jump Street leaped to the top of the box office over the weekend.
The action-comedy, which is based on the 1980s TV series of the same name and stars Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, debuted with an estimated $35 million.
The film’s run in the number-one spot will likely be short-lived. Many critics and box office analysts believe the highly-anticipated movie The Hunger Games will crack the $100 million mark when it opens next weekend.
The box office champ the previous two weekends, Dr. Seuss’ the Lorax, dropped to second place, earning $22.8 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. 21 Jump Street, $35 million
2. Dr. Seuss’ the Lorax, $22.8 million
3. John Carter, $13.5 million
4. Project X, $4 million
5. A Thousand Words, $3.8 million
6. Act of Valor, $3.7 million
7. Safe House, $2.8 million
8. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, $2.5 million
9. Casa de mi Padre, $2.2 million
10. This Means War, $2.1 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Sarah Bringhurst, OK.com
Nate Sunderland, EastIdahoNews.com