Tulsa Shooting Suspects Said to Confess
(TULSA, Oklahoma) -- Two Oklahoma men accused of a deadly shooting spree last week that apparently targeted black people at random along Tulsa's streets have confessed to the shootings, according to published reports.
Authorities say Jake England, 19, confessed to shooting three people and Alvin Watts, 32, confessed to shooting two.
The rampage left three people dead, and two more were seriously wounded. Watts is believed to have shot two of the three who died, according to police.
All of the victims were black. England and Watts, who police describe as white, have not been charged with hate crimes.
The confessions emerge as Tulsa police continue to piece together the puzzle that led to the shootings that terrorized Tulsa's African-American community beginning last Friday, until the men were arrested early Sunday morning. Police recovered a weapon they believe was used in the shootings, sources told ABC News, but have not yet disclosed where it was found or any forensic evidence.
The two suspects appeared in an Oklahoma court on Monday via a closed circuit video from the Tulsa County Jail for a bond setting hearing.
Both men were booked under three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of shooting with the intent to kill and one count of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. A judge ordered that they be held, with bonds set at $9.16 million each.
England and Watts are scheduled to be back in court on April 16 for an official arraignment.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio