Gingrich Releases Campaign Suspension Video
(WASHINGTON) -- Newt Gingrich released a video on his YouTube channel Tuesday to give his supporters “insider advance notice” that he will be suspending his campaign on Wednesday.
Gingrich’s wife, Callista, tweeted a picture of Gingrich filming the video Monday night.
“I wanted you to know first because your help was vital,” Gingrich said in the video directed to his supporters.
Sources close to the campaign told ABC News last week that Gingrich planned to suspend his campaign early this week and would “likely” endorse Mitt Romney. Though both Gingrich and Romney will be in Virginia on Wednesday, sources close to the campaign said Gingrich will not appear with Romney then, but could campaign together at future appearances in a couple of weeks. The campaigns had planned to meet Monday to discuss how Gingrich could help the Romney campaign.
Gingrich said in the YouTube video that the re-election of Barack Obama will be a “genuine disaster,” and said he had an obligation to defeat him.
“I want you to know that we’re going to continue out there on the road, both Callista and I will be talking, campaigning, making speeches, doing everything we can to help defeat Barack Obama,” Gingrich said.
Last week Gingrich began to pull back his campaign after a sweeping five-state loss, including Delaware, where he campaigned the most and said would be an important factor in assessing his campaign.
“I do think it’s pretty clear that Gov. Romney is ultimately going to be the nominee and we’re going to do everything we can make sure that he is in fact effective. And we as a team will be effective in winning this fall,” Gingrich said last week in North Carolina.
The official details of Gingrich’s campaign suspension have not been released, other than it will take place sometime Wednesday afternoon in the Virginia region. Gingrich plans to deliver a speech focused on citizenship.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio