(NEW YORK) — Jerry Sandusky is on suicide watch at the local jail after being convicted on 45 counts of sexually abusing young boys, the former Penn State coach’s defense attorney said Saturday.
Sandusky was led away in handcuffs to the Centre County jail Friday night after a jury of seven women and five men found him guilty of nearly all of the most serious allegations of child rape and sex abuse leveled against him, but Sandusky has not reached the end of his road yet. He will still face civil suits, potentially more criminal charges against him, and years of treatment while in prison.
After the jury foreman read 45 “guilty” verdicts aloud to an emotionless Sandusky Friday night, Judge John Cleland revoked bail and sent Sandusky to county jail to be evaluated by the Sexual Offenders Assessment Board for a pre-sentencing report, taking into account his psychological and physical health.
Defense attorney Karl Rominger told CNN today that Sandusky is being held on suicide watch in protective custody, away from other inmates. The jail would not comment on Sandusky’s condition to ABC News.
Sandusky will be held at the county jail for approximately 90 days, until he is sentenced by Cleland to what will likely amount to life in prison.
After that, he will likely spend the rest of his days in a state prison in Pennsylvania, living among the general population of 18- to 79-year olds until he ages out of the system and is transferred to a facility for older prisoners.
Sandusky could still face more charges from a bevy of accusers who were not included in the original case against him, including his adopted son Matthew, who came forward at the end of the prosecution’s case during the trial last week to say he would testify on the state’s behalf. His attorneys confirmed in a statement that he was a victim of his adoptive father’s abuse.
Matt and at least four other men have all been in discussions with the attorney general’s office about their allegations, according to attorneys representing the men.
Attorney General Linda Kelly said following the verdict Friday night that the case remains open.
“Other victims have come forward after the grand jury presentment in this case, and we intend to continue to look into those matters,” she said.
If the attorney general decides not to pursue further charges against Sandusky, the former defensive coordinator and his estate will still face a series of lawsuits brought by his accusers, who now number at least 12. Many have said they will sue the coach as well as Penn State University and Second Mile, Sandusky’s charity for troubled youth, from which he culled his victims.
Sandusky’s wife, Dottie Sandusky, has obtained her own legal counsel; it is unclear how she will be affected by the potential lawsuits.
Rominger and Amendola both hinted following Friday’s verdict that they would appeal the jury’s decision.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Jason Hanna, CNN Newswire