Supreme Court Health Care Ruling: What It Means For You
0 Updated at 9:06 am, June 28th, 2012 By: ABC Digital
Creatas Images/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The Supreme Court ruled five to four Thursday morning that President Obama’s health-care law, his top domestic policy achievement, is constitutional because the “individual mandate” — the penalty individuals must pay for not buying health insurance — can be considered a tax.
Here is what the decision means for you:
- You have to buy health insurance or be subject to a tax.
- If you are under 26, you can get health insurance from the plan your parents use.
- If you’re on Medicare, you can get free mammograms.
- If you have what’s called a pre-existing condition, you can get health insurance.
- Insurance companies can’t deny you coverage even if you get sick and make a mistake on your health insurance application.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Images in the news