(NEW YORK) — The weekend box office can be summed up with one popular phrase: “Grin and bear it.”
Seth MacFarlane’s comedy Ted, about a grown man and his talking teddy bear, opened in first place, earning an estimated $54.1 million.
The male stripper film Magic Mike, starring Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey, debuted in the second spot, with $39.2 million.
The previous box office champ, the Disney-Pixar tale Brave, rounded out the top three, collecting $34 million.
Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection premiered in fourth place, with $26.4 million, and the drama People Like Us bowed in 10th place, with $4.3 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Ted, $54.1 million
2. Magic Mike, $39.2 million
3. Brave, $34 million
4. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection, $26.4 million
5. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, $11.8 million
6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, $6 million
7. Prometheus, $4.93 million
8. Moonrise Kingdom, $4.9 million
9. Snow White & the Huntsman, $4.4 million
10. People Like Us, $4.3 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio