(TORONTO) — The city of Toronto is stunned on Tuesday by what its police chief described as “the worst incidence of gun violence in my memory anywhere in North America.”
Twenty-one people were shot late Monday night during a block party in Toronto’s east end, leaving two people dead and 19 wounded.
While details were still emerging, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said that a person of interest, who was also wounded, is in custody and that more than one gun was used during the incident.
Gun violence has been on the rise in Toronto with 32 percent more shootings in 2012 than this time last year. However, no one was prepared for a shooting spree that occurred Monday night.
Blair told reporters that not only were Toronto residents shocked but “it will be shocking to all of Canada because of the number of the people injured. The level of violence is something we have never experienced.”
A teenage girl and young adult male were confirmed dead. An infant was among those wounded but the baby’s wounds were considered non-life threatening.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Ivana Kottasova, CNN