(NEWBURGH, N.Y.) — Police in Newburgh, N.Y., Thursday morning canceled an AMBER Alert issued 16 hours earlier after a group of children reported the abduction of a girl believed to be as young as 5.
Authorities in Newburgh, which is in Orange County, about 60 miles north of New York City, issued the alert at 6:25 p.m. Wednesday but cancelled the child-abduction alert bulletin at 10:21 a.m. Thursday.
Police said they will discuss the situation later Thursday at a news conference.
The group of 5- and 6-year-old kids told police that two men got out of a pickup truck and grabbed the girl’s mouth and neck and forced her into the truck shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday near South Junior High School, according to a police news release.
Police soon issued the AMBER Alert for the missing child and were working with the FBI. Police told ABC News that as of 10 a.m. Thursday, no one had come forward to report a missing child in the area.
Newburgh police told ABC News affiliate WABC-TV earlier that they had no reason not to believe the group of kids who say they saw the abduction. The witnesses did not say whether the girl was with anyone at the time of the abduction.
“A guy came out of the pickup truck and grabbed her mouth and her neck and she was trying to scream and couldn’t,” a child told WABC. “They put her in a garbage bag. All you could see is her head. And they put her in the car and drove off.”
Another child told WABC, “I saw the pickup truck. It had blue license plates, and when the man got out of the car with two bags, we started running.”
The girl was described as possibly Hispanic, about 5 or 6 years old and 3-feet tall with long black hair and wearing a short-sleeve, bright-pink shirt with white stripes, according to the news release.
Police said the truck was occupied by two males. The vehicle is a black pickup truck with green writing on the sides.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Hope King, CNN Newswire
Megan Marsden Christensen, KSL.com