(NEW YORK) — Hotels may be creating packages around the novel Fifty Shades of Grey to attract visitors, but turns out visitors are leaving their copies behind when they check out of hotels. Could they be worried about being seen with the book and want to ditch it as soon as they’re done reading?
Maybe. More than any other book, Fifty Shades of Grey was left behind at Travelodge U.K. properties, according to the hotel chain’s annual survey of books left behind. But more likely, the book is just so immensely popular that there are more copies making their way into hotel rooms in the first place.
According to Travelodge, 7,000 copies of E.L. James’s Fifty Shades of Grey were left behind. That’s nearly one-third of the total 21,786 books left behind in 36,500 Travelodge hotel rooms.
The other two books in the trilogy — Fifty Shades Freed and Fifty Shades Darker — also made the top 10 of books left behind. Stieg Larsson’s trilogy that began with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is also very popular with travelers.
What else was left behind in the last year? An elderly couple left behind not one, but a bag full of Karma Sutra books. Hotels in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Liverpool reported the most e-readers left behind. And a CEO who is a regular guest left his collection of comic books.
Here are the rest of the top 10 books left behind in the Travelodge U.K. survey:
2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
3. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest, by Stieg Larsson
4. Fifty Shades Freed, by E.L. James
5. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
6. The Girl Who Played With Fire, by Stieg Larsson
7. Fifty Shades Darker, by E.L. James
8. Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins
9. Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins
10. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio