More than Three Out of Five Pet Owners Share Bed with Their Animals
0 Updated at 3:08 am, September 14th, 2012 By: ABC Digital
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Nine out of ten pet owners say they consider their pet to be a member of the family, and for 67 percent of those folks, that relationship includes frequently or occasionally sharing a bed at night.
Thirty-three percent of pet owners say they rarely or never share a bed with their pet. The stats come from a new Harris Poll on Americans and their pets.
- 60 percent of Americans have a pet. Among these pet owners, two-thirds have a dog while just over half have a cat. About one in ten have a fish, and less than one in ten pet owners have a bird or some other type of pet.
- 61 percent of dog owners have just one pooch, while 28 percent have two dogs and 11 percent have three or more dogs in the house.
- 46 percent of cat owners have just one cat while one-third have two felines. Twenty-two percent have three or more cats. Four percent of the surveyed cat owners admit to having six or more in their home.
- 31 percent frequently purchase holiday presents for their pet, while another three in ten occasionally do so.
- 18 percent frequently buy their pets birthday presents and 22 percent do so occasionally.
- 19 percent admit to frequently or occasionally dressing up their pet in some type of clothing. Eighty-percent say they rarely or never do.
- 10 percent of pet owners have taken their pets with them to work, while 82 percent say they have never done so.
The Harris Poll surveyed 2,634 U.S. adults.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Stories you May be Interested In:
Images in the news