(NEW YORK) — Evil was good enough to win the box office over the weekend.
Resident Evil: Retribution, the fifth film in the series, earned an estimated 21.1 million dollars to debut in first place.
Disney’s 3D re-release of Finding Nemo opened in the second spot, raising 17.5 million.
The Possession, which was the box office champ the previous two weekends, fell to third place, with 5.8 million.
In very limited release, Paul Thomas Anderson’s new drama, The Master, set a box office record for gross earnings per theater. The film, which stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams, collected over 729 thousand dollars in just five theaters — an average of nearly 146 thousand per theater.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. Resident Evil: Retribution, $21.1 million
2. Finding Nemo 3D, $17.5 million
3. The Possession, $5.8 million
4. Lawless, $4.2 million
5. ParaNorman, $3 million
6. The Expendables 2, $3 million
7. The Words, $2.88 million
8. The Bourne Legacy, $2.875 million
9. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $2.5 million
10. The Campaign, $2.4 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Frank Pallotta, CNN Newswire