(NEW YORK) — A Taliban spokesman said Monday that the terror group would use “all our strength” to kidnap or kill the U.K’s Prince Harry, who has just begun serving a four-month tour of duty as a chopper pilot in Afghanistan.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid made the same threat in an interview with Agence France Presse, saying the Taliban had a “high-value plan” to get the prince. “It is not important for us to kidnap him,” he said. “We will target him and we will kill him.”
Prince Harry, known as Captain Wales in the British Army, is stationed at Camp Bastion in Helmand province, on the front line. Harry also served a tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2008, though it was cut short because of publicity. The 27-year-old son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana is third in line to the throne, after his father and his older brother William.
The British government has declined comment on the threats against Harry, but NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said he was not worried.
“That’s not a matter of concern,” said Rasmussen at a press conference in Brussels. “We do everything we can to protect all our troops deployed to Afghanistan, whatever might be their personal background.”
Harry was in the news last month after he was captured on film partying naked with friends in Las Vegas.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio