(NEW YORK) — The first-ever fall season of NBC’s The Voice is off to a good start in the Nielsen ratings. The singing competition attracted 12 million viewers for its two-hour premiere, according to Variety.
The Voice benefited from an early start to its season. Most of its fall competition, including ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, won’t premiere for another two weeks.
This is the third season of The Voice, but the first to air during the fall.
NBC previewed two of its new comedies after The Voice. The New Normal was seen by 6.9 million viewers, and an encore presentation of the pilot of Matthew Perry’s Go On drew five million viewers. Both series will air regularly on Tuesday nights.
Earlier on Monday, Katie Couric’s new daytime talk show had an impressive launch. Katie enjoyed the highest-rated debut of any daytime talk show in the past 10 years. ABC, which distributes the show, has not released the number of viewers who tuned in.
The highest-rated primetime program for the week ending Sunday was NBC’s coverage over the weekend of the Denver Broncos-Pittsburgh Steelers football game, which drew 27.57 million viewers. That’s a bigger audience than the one that tuned into NBC’s broadcast of the NFL season opener between the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants last Wednesday.
NBC won the network ratings race for last week, followed by Fox, CBS, ABC, Univision, ION Television, Telemundo and the CW.
Here are the top 10 primetime programs for the week of Sept. 3-9, according to the Nielsen Company:
1. Sunday Night Football: Pittsburgh at Denver, NBC, 27.57 million.
2. NFL Football: Dallas at N.Y. Giants, NBC, 23.89 million.
3. Sunday Night NFL Pre-Kick, NBC, 20.14 million.
4. Wednesday Night NFL Pre-Kick, NBC, 18.67 million.
5. Football Night in America, NBC, 12.99 million.
6. 60 Minutes, CBS, 12.32 million.
7. NFL Opening Kick-Off Show, NBC, 10.68 million.
8. America’s Got Talent (Tuesday), NBC, 8.93 million.
9. NCIS, CBS, 7.94 million.
10. America’s Got Talent (Thursday), NBC, 7.88 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Rachel Sande, EastIdahoNews.com
Adam Forsgren, EastIdahoNews.com