(LOS ANGELES) — Simon Cowell is upset that NBC scheduled an additional episode of The Voice next week opposite his X Factor, but perhaps he shouldn’t point fingers at Mark Burnett, who produces the NBC singing competition.
Cowell told TMZ that it was “unprofessional” for The Voice to expand its premiere week with a third episode, scheduled to air Wednesday at the same time The X Factor kicks off a new season on Fox.
When TMZ reached out to Burnett for comment, the reality TV producer said he wasn’t even aware of NBC’s decision.
He said, “There was never ever a meeting or a discussion of what my show was up against. The fact is…it shows you where our minds are at and where others are because it literally never crossed my mind.”
Burnett also said, “This is someone trying to read into something that doesn’t exist.”
Cowell has since told TMZ that he doesn’t believe Burnett’s story.
Cowell previously expressed his belief that NBC was trying to steal some of the thunder away from new X Factor judges Britney Spears and Demi Lovato.
Though Spears was a high-profile hire, Cowell says she doubted herself on her first day on the job. It had been reported that she walked off the set to take a bathroom break, but Cowell told TMZ Thursday that she actually “had a moment on the first day where she said to me, ‘I’m not sure I can do this.'”
Cowell said he convinced her to stick around, and she turned out to be a great judge.
The Voice’s three-night premiere will air next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on NBC. Fox will broadcast the two-part season opener of The X Factor on Wednesday and Thursday.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Jackie Wattles, CNN
Chloe Melas, CNN
Frank Pallotta, CNN