$425M Powerball Jackpot: Five Tips to Win
0 Updated at 2:17 am, November 27th, 2012 By: ABC Digital
William Thomas Cain/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — With a $425 million Powerball jackpot now up for grabs Wednesday night, people are lining up across the country with dreams of hitting it big.
“[I] really want that Powerball,” Tony Hanson of Georgia said.
In 2006, eight meatpacking workers — called the “Nebraska 8″ — struck gold in Lincoln, Neb., with a single ticket chosen by a computer. They won $365 million — the biggest lottery payout in U.S. history.
For Americans hoping to score big like the Nebraska 8, experts shared these tips with ABC News on Monday:
- Quick Picks and personal numbers have the same chance of winning — one in 175 million.
- The only way to increase the chances of winning the Powerball is to buy more tickets.
- However, the more people buy tickets, the worse a person’s chances get.
- Search for lotteries that have smaller jackpots because they cause smaller frenzies.
- Stay away from common lucky numbers like 3, 7 and 11 as well as numbers under 31 because they could be popular calendar dates like birthdays and anniversaries and would mean sharing the jackpot.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Stories you May be Interested In:
Images in the news