(NEW YORK) – The Consumer Product Safety Commission, or CPSC, has announced Tuesday that parents should beware of the chemicals in single laundry load packets, as they have been found harmful to children.
Researchers have learned that in 2012 alone, there have been about 500 incidents involving children who have been found injured from playing with the laundry packets, usually by biting into the products. Those who ingested the packets were rushed to the hospital because of side effects such as loss of consciousness, vomiting, and difficulty breathing properly.
One reason children may be attracted to playing with laundry packets is that they are colorful and soft to the touch, resembling a toy or a teething item.
The CPSC recommends keeping the packets locked up and at a safe distance from their children.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio