(NEW YORK) — Some of the best multinational workplaces are tech companies right here in the U.S., according to a new list compiled by Great Place to Work.
The research and consulting firm, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary and is headquartered in San Francisco, narrowed down a list of 5,700 companies that applied to participate in its Best Workplaces contest to a final list of 25 firms.
For this list, the companies were judged from employee surveys. They also had to appear on at least five national Best Workplaces lists, and have at least 5,000 employees worldwide with at least 40 percent of the workforce outside their home country.
This year, the tech company SAS Institute grabbed the top honors, taking the crown from Microsoft, which won last year. Google inched its way up to the second highest spot, after placing fourth last year.
New to the 2012 top 25 list were: W.L. Gore Associates (8th), Autodesk (10th), PepsiCo (11th), Ernst & Young (12th), Monsanto (14th), General Mills (17th) and Accor (19th).
Great Place to Work said each company in its list is creating a work culture based on “trust, pride and camaraderie.”
Voluntary turnover at 15 of the 25 companies was 8 percent per annum, compared to an all industry average in the U.S. of 9.1 percent, according to CompData Service.
Here is a list of the 2012 top 15 global workplaces:
1. SAS Institute – Headquarters: Cary, N.C.
2. Google – Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
3. NetApp – Headquarters: Sunnyvale, Calif.
4. Kimberly-Clark – Headquarters: Irving, Texas
5. Microsoft – Headquarters: Redmond, Wash.
6. Marriott – Headquarters: Bethesda, Md.
7. FedEx – Headquarters: Bethesda, Md.
8. W.L. Gore & Associates – Headquarters: Newark, Del.
9. Diageo – Headquarters: London
10. Autodesk – Headquarters: San Rafael, Calif.
11. PepsiCo – Headquarters: Purchase, N.Y.
12. Ernst & Young – Headquarters: London
13. Telefónica – Headquarters: Madrid
14. Monsanto – Headquarters: Creve Coeur, Mo.
15. Intel – Headquarters: Santa Clara, Calif.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Madison Park, CNN
Jose Pagliery, CNN