“Skyfall” Crosses $1 Billion Milestone
(NEW YORK) -- James Bond has managed to outdo even himself this time. Skyfall, the 23rd 007 adventure, has joined the exclusive club of films that have topped the $1 billion mark at the box office.
The movie has grossed $289.6 million domestically and $701.6 million internationally as the numbers continue to climb, pushing over the $1 billion mark, Sony and MGM announced on Sunday.
The film was directed by Sam Mendes and was the third in the series to star Daniel Craig as Bond. Judi Dench, Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes also star in the movie.
Skyfall is the 14th movie in history to break the billion-dollar ceiling and the third this year, following Disney and Marvel’s The Avengers and Warner Bros.’ The Dark Knight Rises.
“To see a film connect with audiences is always gratifying, but the success of this film is nothing short of extraordinary,” Sony vice chairman Jeff Blake said, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “After 50 years of entertaining audiences all over the world, Skyfall is the most successful James Bond film of all time.”
Here’s a full list of the 14 movies that have crossed the $1 billion milestone (without inflation), according to Box Office Mojo:
1. Avatar (2009) - $2.7 billion
2. Titanic (1997) - $2.1 billion
3. Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) - $1.5 billion
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) - $1.3 billion
5. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - $1.1 billion
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - $1.1 billion
7. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - $1.08 billion
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) - $1.06 billion
9. Toy Story 3 (2010) - $1.06 billion
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) - $1.04 billion
11. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999) - $1.02 billion
12. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - $1.02 billion
13. The Dark Knight (2008) - $1 billion
14. Skyfall (2012) - $1 billion
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio