(NEW YORK) — Oh, Mama! The Jessica Chastain horror film Mama topped the weekend box office by earning an estimated $28.1 million.
Another Chastain film, Zero Dark Thirty, occupied the second spot, with $17.6 million. She earned an Oscar nomination for her role as a CIA agent on the hunt for Osama bin Laden.
In its first weekend in wide release, the Oscar best-picture contender Silver Linings Playbook collected $11.4 million to finish in third place.
The Mark Wahlberg-Russell Crowe drama Broken City debuted in the fifth spot, with $9 million.
And Arnold Schwarzenegger’s first lead role since the former California governor resumed his acting career was a bust. His action flick The Last Stand opened in 10th place, with just $6.3 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. Mama, $28.1 million
2. Zero Dark Thirty, $17.6 million
3. Silver Linings Playbook, $11.4 million
4. Gangster Squad, $9.1 million
5. Broken City, $9 million
6. A Haunted House, $8.3 million
7. Django Unchained, $8.2 million
8. Les Miserables, $7.8 million
9. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, $6.4 million
10. The Last Stand, $6.3 million
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Brian Stelter, CNN Newswire