(PATNA, India) — At least 21 school children in India are dead and many more sick after eating contaminated lunches provided by their school.
It started as an ordinary school day. But after a lunch of rice, beans, and curry several children became violently ill. They were rushed to the hospital Tuesday, where 21 were pronounced dead.
The lunch provided was part of a government-sponsored free lunch program in the eastern Indian province of Bihar. Officials there say traces of insecticide were found in the food.
The school’s principal has been charged with criminal negligence.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Arthur Brice, CNN
Barbara Starr, CNN
Evan McKirdy, Tim Hume and James Masters, CNN
Laura Smith-Spark, CNN