(DALLAS) — Eight women have been raped in the span of just over two months near a park in Dallas, police said this week, and they believe one man is responsible for all of the attacks.
Dallas police said Tuesday that a man in his mid-20s or early 30s had attacked eight women at gunpoint near Fair Park in south Dallas. The rapist appears to have become more brazen throughout the summer, attacking more women in the past week and once attacking two women at the same time.
The attacks happened on June 22, June 30, Aug. 20, Aug. 22, Aug. 28, Aug. 30, and Sept. 1, police Major Jeff Cotner said at a press conference they posted to YouTube on Tuesday.
“We had this gap and we don’t know, that’s part of our investigation why we had this gap of six weeks from June all the way into August,” Cotner said. “We are still working with our victims to gather information.”
The age of the victims range from 18 into their 40s, Cotner said.
The eighth victim came forward to police this week and said that she had seen reports of other rapes on a newscast and decided to share her story with officials, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA-TV.
Police described the suspect as being 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-11, 200 pounds and wearing glasses. They said he always covers his face during attacks, usually with a piece of clothing.
In each instance, the rapist approached the victims in an isolated area with a handgun and directed them to a secluded area where he sexually assaulted them and then let them go. The victims did not suffer other injureis, police said.
They said he usually fled into a vehicle described as a gray Honda Civic or Volvo following the attacks.
Since the alert Tuesday night, Cotner said the department has received four tips from the public.
“It was not until here in the last week that we recognized that we had the same MO, the same individual using the same tactics. Then we knew that we had a serial,” Cotner said.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Lynda Kinkade, CNN Newswire
Sam Turner, Deseret News