Friday the 13th Less of a Nightmare this Year
(NEW YORK) -- This year has already been less of a nightmare for paraskevidekatriaphobics, or those who fear Friday the 13th.
The dreaded date marred their calendars three times in 2012, all by July. This Friday is the first of only two in 2013, with the next one coming in December.
And the immediate future looks even brighter for paraskevidekatriaphobics: There’s only one Friday the 13th to sweat out in 2014.
Whether once, twice or three times, however, paraskevidekatriaphobics should consider themselves lucky, in a sense, because triggers for other phobias -- real or imagined -- are far more abundant. Here are some of the more unusual ones:
- Liticaphobia: Fear of lawsuits
- Euphobia: Fear of hearing good news
- Soceraphobia: Fear of parents-in-law
- Deipnophobia: Fear of dining or dinner conversations
- Nostophobia: Fear of returning home
- Xanthophobia: Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow
- Clinophobia: Fear of going to bed
- Omphalophobia: Fear of belly buttons
- Arachibutyrophobia: Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth, not to be confused with any legitimate phobia
- Aichmophobia: Fear of sharp objects
- Sesquipedalophobia: Fear of long words, which has morphed into the contrived hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia
And then, of course, there’s the phobia of all phobias: Phobophobia, or the fear of being afraid.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio