(NEW YORK) — Ender’s Game won the box office, bringing in $28 million in its opening weekend.
The film, an adaptation of Orson Scott Card’s novel, follows a young boy who is recruited and trained to lead a military into battle against an alien race that has invaded a futuristic Earth. Rated PG-13, Ender’s Game‘s cast includes stars like Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley alongside The Help‘s Viola Davis.
After leading the pack last weekend, Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa came in second place this weekend with newly-opened films Last Vegas and Free Birds finishing second and third.
Here are the top ten films from the weekend box office according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Ender’s Game: $28 million
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: $20.5 million
3. Last Vegas: $16.52 million
4. Free Birds: $16.2 million
5. Gravity: $13.13 million
6. Captain Phillips: $8.5 million
7. 12 Years A Slave: $4.6 million
8. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: $4.2 million
9. Carrie (2013): $3.4 million
10. The Counselor: $3.25 million
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Nate Sunderland, EastIdahoNews.com
Scott Stuntz, Teton Valley News
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Lisa Respers France, CNN