Fire Near Los Angeles About 30 Percent Contained
(LOS ANGELES) -- The fire that destroyed over 1,800 acres of land in northeast Los Angeles is about 30 percent contained, a Los Angeles County Fire Department Deputy David Richardson said on Friday night.
The fire destroyed an additional 163 acres on Friday due to winds, though firefighters were able to gain some containment on the blaze using GPS. Record dry conditions have helped the fire to spread quickly.
Spokeswoman for the U.S. Forest Service Sherry Rollman said that about 3,000 to 4,000 people were displaced initially, but that just one community -- 200-300 homes -- remained under mandatory evacuation on Saturday.
Azusa Police Lieutenant Paul Dennis told ABC News that the fire was not the only issue, saying that he "could feel and see rocks bouncing off the side of my car." Large rocks and boulders have also reportedly been falling from the side of the mountain.
County officials arrested three people on Friday who had been camping in the Angeles National Forest, and that one of the individuals admitted to burning paper in a campfire, which got out of control. Clifford Eugene Henry, Jonathan Carl Jarrell and Steven Robert Aguirre, all in their early 20s, were charged with recklessly starting a fire. They are each being held on $500,000 bail.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio