“Noah” Debuts at Number One at the Box Office
(LOS ANGELES) -- Noah took the number one spot at the box office in its opening weekend, earning $44 million.
Inspired by the biblical story of Noah's Ark, the drama was written and directed by Darren Aronofsky-- the director behind Black Swan and The Wrestler.
Noah stars Russell Crowe, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, and Anthony Hopkins.
Divergent fell to second place this weekend bringing in $26.5 million, followed by Muppets Most Wanted with $11.4 million.
Here are the top ten film estimates of the weekend according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Noah: $44.0 million
2. Divergent: $26.5 million
3. Muppets Most Wanted: $11.4 million
4. Mr. Peabody & Sherman: $9.5 million
5. God's Not Dead: $9.1 million
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel: $8.8 million
7. Sabotage: $5.3 million
8. Need for Speed: $4.33 million
9. 300: Rise of An Empire: $4.30 million
10. Non-Stop: $4.1 million
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio