(NEW YORK) — The New Orleans Saints announced Friday that they agreed to a two-year deal with 12-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.
According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the deal can be worth a maximum of $7 million.
“We are excited to be able to add a future Hall of Fame player with the addition of Champ Bailey,” Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said in a statement. “His career accomplishments mirror that of his high character and he’s a very prideful and competitive player who we believe will add to our defense. Having spent time with him recently and in our discussions with him, I know that he’s thrilled to be joining the New Orleans Saints and starting a new chapter in his professional life.”
Bailey, 35, played the last 10 seasons of his career with Denver, but was released by the team this offseason.
Last year was tough for Bailey. He played in only five games because of a foot injury, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported earlier in the week that Bailey is healthy.
Bailey joins a young secondary that includes newly signed Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd.
“When you have a lot of young, energetic guys that want to prove that they belong in this game and prove that they’re one of the best – you’ve got a young Kenny Vaccaro, how much is Jairus Byrd going to help him? How much can I help them? How much can they help me? I just like the situation I’m going into because I know these guys are going to be hungry and we can all be biting each other’s style as far as what it’s going to take to be great,” Bailey told the team’s official website. “And I’m excited to be a part of it.”
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio