(BOSTON) — The man accused in a hoax on the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon attacks was ordered held on $100,000 bail when he appeared briefly in court Wednesday.
In a blue V-neck prison smock, 25-year-old Kevin Edson stood while prosecutor Susan Terry told the judge Edson left a backpack containing a rice cooker at the finish line of the marathon Tuesday night.
The device Edson had was not an actual explosive, police said.
A doctor said Edson has a history of psychiatric disturbances and was off his medication, while prosecutors said Edson told police he knew what he was doing.
The two suspicious bags — only one of which police say they believe the man dropped — were both exploded Tuesday evening after the suspect had been detained for questioning.
“With the marathon coming, we are taking it serious,” Boston Police Officer Randall Halstead said. “Our officers are trained in looking for any kind of suspicious activity, and when it is brought to their attention or they notice it, which was in this case, they act upon it.”
The race takes place on April 21, but Tuesday was a day of remembrance in Boston, a year after bombings at the finish line killed three and injured 264.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio