(NEW YORK) — Captain America: The Winter Soldier captured the top spot in the box office for the second weekend in a row.
The superhero film from Buena Vista is a sequel to 2011’s Captain America: The First Avenger and is the ninth film in the Marvel cinematic universe.
The Winter Soldier stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Robert Redford, and Anthony Mackie.
A trio of new films finished second through fourth in the box office with Rio 2, Oculus and Draft Day all enjoying successful opening weekends.
Here are the top ten films from this weekend’s box office according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: $41.398 million
2. Rio 2: $39 million
3. Oculus: $12 million
4. Draft Day: $9.75 million
5. Divergent: $7.5 million
6. Noah: $7.45 million
7. God’s Not Dead: $4.485 million
8. The Grand Budapest Hotel: $4.05 million
9. Muppets Most Wanted: $2.193 million
10. Mr. Peabody & Sherman: $1.825 million
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Jackie Wattles, CNN
Brian Stelter, CNN