(NEW YORK) — Dawn of the Planet of the Apes dominated the box office this weekend, opening in the top spot and taking in $73 million in the process.
The follow-up to the 2011 film Rise of the Planet of the Apes stars Andy Serkis as the leader of the apes, Caesar. Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell and Kode Smit-McPhee also star in the latest Planet of the Apes film.
Transformers: Age of Extinction finished the weekend in a distant second place.
Here are the top ten films of the weekend according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: $73 million
2. Transformers: Age of Extinction: $16.5 million
3. Tammy: $12.91 million
4. 22 Jump Street: $6.7 million
5. How to Train Your Dragon 2: $5.865 million
6. Earth to Echo: $5.5 million
7. Deliver Us From Evil: $4.7 million
8. Maleficent: $4.169 million
9. Begin Again: $2.935 million
10. Jersey Boys: $2.51 million
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Jackie Wattles, CNN
David Goldman, CNN