(DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.) — NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton instituted a new rule on Friday that will not allow drivers to get out of their car until told to do so by a NASCAR official.
The announcement comes in the wake of Tony Stewart’s fatal sprint car crash that killed Kevin Ward Jr. in upstate New York on Saturday.
“Throughout the history of our sport, NASCAR has reviewed and analyzed situations and occurrences that take place not just in NASCAR racing but also throughout all motorsports and other sports,” Pemberton said. “When we believe we can do something to make our sport safer and better for the competitors and others involved in the competition environment, we react quickly. Safety always has been priority No. 1 at NASCAR.”
The rule, listed as Section 9-16, will be effective immediately. Here’s the rule below:
During an Event, if a racecar is involved in an on track incident and/or is stopped on or near the racing surface and unable to continue to make forward progress, unless extenuating emergency conditions exist with the racecar (i.e. fire, smoke in cockpit, etc.) the driver should take the following steps:
- Shut off electrical power and, if driver is uninjured, lower window net
- Do not loosen , disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official
- After being directed to exit the racecar, the driver should proceed to either the ambulance, other vehicle, or as otherwise directed by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official
- At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach any portion of the racing surface or apron
- At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach another moving vehicle
All vehicles not involved in the incident or that are able to continue afterwards should slow down to a cautious speed as outlined in Section 10-4 (Yellow Flag), use extreme care as they approach an incident scene, and follow any directions given by safety personnel or NASCAR/Track Officials. Cars in line behind the safety car should not weave or otherwise stray from the line in the vicinity of the incident.
The Sprint Cup series will be in Michigan International Speedway on Sunday.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio