Possible Remains of Missing Texas Teen Hailey Dunn Found


Share This Story

ABC News(BIG SPRING, Texas) — Human remains have been discovered in a pasture 40 miles from Colorado City, Texas, where 13-year-old Hailey Dunn disappeared over one year ago.

Authorities in Big Spring, Texas, confirmed that human remains were found near the McMahon Wrinkle Airpark Tuesday afternoon.  The airpark is approximately one mile from the home of Shawn Adkins, the boyfriend at the time of Dunn’s mother, and the only named person of interest in the case.

Detective Sgt. Tony Everett said the remains appeared to have been there “for a long period of time,” according to the San Angelo Standard Times.  Everett said that an FBI evidence recovery team from Dallas is going to process the scene Wednesday morning.

No official connection has yet to be made between the remains found Tuesday and Hailey Dunn.

Adkins, who was 25 at the time of the girl’s disappearance, was called one of several persons of interest in January 2011 by investigators in Colorado City.  He was the live-in boyfriend of her mother, Billie Dunn, but the couple is reportedly no longer together in the aftermath of Hailey’s disappearance.

Adkins was the last person to see the 13-year-old cheerleader on Dec. 27, 2010.  Billie Dunn, 33, reported her daughter’s disappearance the next day.

Both Dunn and Adkins failed polygraph exams during the initial investigation into Hailey Dunn’s disappearance.  Billie Dunn took a lie detector test twice, and the first test ended prematurely when investigators discovered she was under the influence of narcotics.  The second exam indicated that she had been deceptive, according to the affidavit.

Adkins took three polygraph exams.  The first two times he walked out of the room before the test was completed.  The third time he was found to be deceptive during the first part of the exam.

During the second stage of the exam, Adkins revealed that Hailey might be in Scurry County, Texas.  Investigators deemed him to be telling the truth.  When pressed about a more precise location for the girl, Adkins refused to complete the test, according to the affidavit.

Investigators said that Adkins has given contradictory statements about the day Hailey disappeared.

Adkins also told investigators that he was fired from his job the day Hailey disappeared.  Adkins worked for a company that does oil well casing and logging.  His boss, however, told investigators that he wasn’t fired, but abruptly left work minutes after showing up, according to the affidavit.

Adkins told investigators that he drove straight to his mother’s home in Big Spring, Texas.  Cellphone records show Adkins making calls from Dunn’s home between 6:35 a.m. until 6:56 a.m., the court papers state.

Dunn left for work as a receptionist at a hospital at 6:20 a.m.

“According to all reports, Hailey Dunn would have been alone in the residence during this time period,” the affidavit said.

Adkins eventually went to the home of his mother and used her computer.  That computer has been taken as evidence, according to the affidavit.

On the evening of Hailey’s disappearance, Dunn and Adkins reportedly withdrew money from two banks to buy drugs, the affidavit said.  There are also claims that the couple had a New Year’s party, just days after the 13-year-old girl disappeared, according to the affidavit.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Respond to this story