(NEW YORK) — The latest Ice Age sequel cooled off the box office competition over the weekend.
Ice Age: Continental Drift, the fourth film in the animated series, debuted in first place, earning an estimated $46 million dollars. It was the only movie to open in wide release.
The previous box office champ, The Amazing Spider-Man, was the runner-up, with $35 million dollars.
Ice Age’s run at the top of the box office will likely last only one week, since the highly-anticipated Batman sequel The Dark Knight Rises hits theaters this Friday.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Ice Age: Continental Drift, $46 million
2. The Amazing Spider-Man, $35 million
3. Ted, $22.1 million
4. Brave, $10.7 million
5. Magic Mike, $9 million
6. Savages, $8.7 million
7. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection, $5.6 million
8. Katy Perry: Part of Me, $3.7 million
9. Moonrise Kingdom, $3.7 million
10. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, $3.5 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Sara Stewart, CNN