“The Bourne Legacy” Knocks “The Dark Knight Rises” Out of Top Spot
(NEW YORK) — The latest Bourne film didn’t need Matt Damon to overtake The Dark Knight Rises for the box office crown.
The Bourne Legacy, featuring Jeremy Renner in the same type of assassin role filled by Damon in the previous Bourne flicks, debuted in first place, earning an estimated $40.3 million.
The Will Ferrell-Zach Galifianakis comedy The Campaign premiered in the second spot, with $27.4 million.
After three straight weekends at number one, The Dark Knight Rises fell to third place, collecting $19.5 million, though this weekend’s take pushed Christopher Nolan’s final Batman film past the $800 million mark worldwide.
The Meryl Streep-Tommy Lee Jones comedy Hope Springs bowed in fourth place, with $15.6 million, while Nitro Circus: The Movie 3D finished outside the top 10.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Bourne Legacy, $40.3 million
2. The Campaign, $27.4 million
3. The Dark Knight Rises, $19.5 million
4. Hope Springs, $15.6 million
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, $8.2 million
6. Total Recall, $8.1 million
7. Ice Age: Continental Drift, $6.8 million
8. Ted, $3.3 million
9. Step Up: Revolution, $2.9 million
10. The Amazing Spider-Man, $2.2 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio