“The Expendables 2” Tops Box Office with $28.8 Million Debut
(NEW YORK) — Moviegoers couldn’t go without seeing The Expendables 2 over the weekend. Sylvester Stallone’s star-studded action sequel topped the box office, with an estimated $28.8 million debut.
Last week’s champ, The Bourne Legacy, slipped to second place, earning $17 million.
As for the other wide releases: the animated flick ParaNorman debuted in the third spot, with $14 million; Sparkle, the final film from the late Whitney Houston, premiered in fifth place, with $12 million; and Disney’s family film The Odd Life of Timothy Green bowed in seventh place, with $10.9 million.
After receiving a publicity boost from the ongoing Robert Pattinson-Kristen Stewart relationship drama, Pattinson’s film Cosmopolis made an impressive $72,000 in just three theaters.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Expendables 2, $28.8 million
2. The Bourne Legacy, $17 million
3. ParaNorman, $14 million
4. The Campaign, $13.4 million
5. Sparkle, $12 million
6. The Dark Knight Rises, $11.1 million
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $10.9 million
8. Hope Springs, $9.1 million
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, $3.9 million
10. Total Recall, $3.5 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio