$425M Powerball Jackpot: Five Tips to Win
(NEW YORK) — With a $425 million Powerball jackpot now up for grabs Wednesday night, people are lining up across the country with dreams of hitting it big.
“[I] really want that Powerball,” Tony Hanson of Georgia said.
In 2006, eight meatpacking workers — called the “Nebraska 8″ — struck gold in Lincoln, Neb., with a single ticket chosen by a computer. They won $365 million — the biggest lottery payout in U.S. history.
For Americans hoping to score big like the Nebraska 8, experts shared these tips with ABC News on Monday:
- Quick Picks and personal numbers have the same chance of winning — one in 175 million.
- The only way to increase the chances of winning the Powerball is to buy more tickets.
- However, the more people buy tickets, the worse a person’s chances get.
- Search for lotteries that have smaller jackpots because they cause smaller frenzies.
- Stay away from common lucky numbers like 3, 7 and 11 as well as numbers under 31 because they could be popular calendar dates like birthdays and anniversaries and would mean sharing the jackpot.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio