Michigan Highway Shooting Suspect Identified
(DETROIT) — The man Detroit-area police have arrested in connection with two dozen highway shootings that have taken place across four Michigan counties over the past four months will be arraigned in court Wednesday.
Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, was identified by his mother to the Detroit Free Press as the man whom police arrested inside his Wixom, Mich., home in connection with the shootings. The attacks have been reported in Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties.
Over the past month there have been 24 reported incidents of seemingly random gunfire at cars, mostly on or near Interstate 96.
Police said that potential evidence was seized during Casteel’s arrest, which they said will be evaluated by crime laboratories. Casteel is also known to have driven a vehicle matching the one described by one of the shooting victims, which Sheriff Gene L. Wriggelsworth and the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office described to ABC News as a Chevy Malibu. He said that the suspect has been charged.
“Yesterday he was still at Wixom police department lock-up. Apparently the Livingston County prosecutor has charged him with one of the shootings, and writted him out to be arraigned at Livingston County in Howell, Mich.,” Wriggelsworth said.
According to the Livingston County prosecutor’s office, Raulie Casteel’s arraignment is scheduled for later Wednesday.
On the afternoon of Oct. 27, a baseball fan driving along the Interstate 96 corridor en route to a World Series game in Detroit was shot in the left hip. Emily Roll, a gas station employee who witnessed the aftermath of the shooting, said the man came limping into the station, looking for help.
Only 30 minutes earlier and a mile away, another car on the interstate had been hit by a bullet that entered through the back window. The driver was not injured.
Until Saturday, no one had been hurt in the string of shootings, but authorities feared there was a serial shooter out there with deadly intentions.
The ATF, the FBI and Crime Stoppers were offering $102,000 for information leading to an arrest of the suspect.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio