(NEW YORK) — Chris Brown has backed out of a performance in Guyana after protests there over his 2009 beating of then-girlfriend Rihanna, according to a concert promoter.
Brown had been booked to headline the Dec. 26 “Unforgettable II” show, but Hits and Jams Entertainment Group says his management pulled the artist amid recent media reports of protests by women’s rights groups and some lawmakers.
Brown’s rep did not respond immediately to ABCNews.com’s request for comment, but told E! online Thursday, “This concert was never confirmed. The promoter is being untruthful.”
Hits and Jams posted the announcement that Brown, 23, was cancelling on its website Wednesday: “The management team in a correspondence to HJ Entertainment said they do not feel comfortable at this stage allowing the multi-award winning singer to come to Guyana as they have been following reports in the local and international press about the protests over his Guyana appearance.”
Earlier this month, protesters in Stockholm, Sweden, plastered the police photo of Rihanna’s beaten face on posters promoting Brown’s concert there.
Brown admitted that he hit and choked Rihanna, 24, during an argument in Los Angeles the night before the 2009 Grammy Awards. He later pleaded guilty to assault.
Since then, the pair recorded a duet, “Nobody’s Business,” for Rihanna’s recently released album, Unapologetic.
Although they have denied reports that they are back together, they exchanged what appeared to be a kiss at the MTV Video Music Awards in September and Brown posted a cryptic video about loving two women in October.
Their latest sighting will only fuel the rumors: Rihanna was photographed Thanksgiving night getting into a car with Brown in Berlin, after attending his concert in the German capital, followed by a nightclub after-party.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Sara Stewart, CNN
Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com