No Loose Lips Regarding New “Star Wars” Director
(LOS ANGELES) — Producer Frank Marshall has a direct line to Disney’s upcoming Star Wars films, thanks to his wife Kathleen Kennedy, who produced films like Raiders of the Lost Ark with him. Kennedy is George Lucas’ hand-picked successor at Lucasfilm, which he recently sold to Disney.
At the premiere for the final Twilight film in Los Angeles Monday night, Marshall wasn’t spilling any beans about the next film set in that galaxy far, far away, which will debut in 2015.
When MTV asked him if he knew who was on the short list to direct Star Wars: Episode VII, Marshall laughed, “I do, but I can’t reveal it, or I won’t be alive tomorrow.”
Kennedy was slightly more forthcoming, but no less mysterious, during a sit-down with Lucas that was posted on StarWars.com, saying, “There are many people who sprang to mind with writers and directors that I’ve worked with in the path that I’m really excited to try to bring into the fold on this.”
Kennedy says, “I think we have a unique opportunity to go after some incredibly talented people.”
So far, three names who have taken themselves out of the running include Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams, and 300’s Zack Snyder.
One filmmaker who recently sounded off on the possibility is Joe Johnston, someone who worked on the original Star Wars trilogy, and went on to direct films like Captain America: The First Avenger.
He told The Huffington Post, “A lot would depend on what ‘it’ is. I am very glad to see Lucasfilm cranking up to get productive again, regardless of who ends up doing it.”
Another director who is apparently interested is Jon Favreau, who is also already in the Disney fold thanks to his work in the Iron Man series — and is established in the Star Wars universe, thanks to a recurring character in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio