(WASHINGTON) — This week states looking secede from the United States drew attention to the White House’s “We the People” website, where users can create petitions to reflect their interests and — if they have enough popularity — provoke a response from the Obama administration. By Friday, every state had a petition to secede to its name, each attracting at least 1,522 digital signs of support.
We wondered what other petitions were out there. Below are the top five petitions that caught our eye on WhiteHouse.gov this week. We’ll leave it to you to judge their merits. Enjoy!
1. ”Establish new legal system of motorcycle riding ‘Judges’ who serve as police, judge, jury, and executioner all in one.”
Number of signatures as of Nov. 16: 2,017
2. ”Nationalize the Twinkie industry.”
Number of signatures as of Nov. 16: 356
3. ”Have government intervene, moderate and expedite the Collective Bargaining negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA.”
Number of signatures as of Nov. 16: 383
4. “Have the President to attend a Fark.com party. If scheduling does not permit, at least have a beer with Drew Curtis.”
Number of signatures as of Nov. 16: 1,022
5. “For certain counties (within respected states) to withdraw from California and Oregon and form the State of Jefferson.”
Number of signatures as of Nov. 16: 237
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio