Bomb Attack in Southwest Pakistan Leaves 19 Shia Pilgrims Dead
(NEW YORK) — A bomb attack on a bus convoy in southwest Pakistan killed at least 19 Shia Muslim pilgrims on Sunday, the BBC reports.
Over 20 people were injured in the attack that took place in the Mastung district of Baluchistan province. Officials said that some of the injured victims were in critical condition and that the death toll could rise. Initial reports said the bomb had been detonated by a remote control, but a government official said it was a suicide attack. No group has claimed responsibility for the incident, says the BBC.
Sectarian violence in Pakistan has gotten worse in recent years. In November, 23 Shia Muslims were killed in a bomb attack in Rawalpindi, according to the BBC.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio