Eddie Murphy Tops “Forbes” List of Most Overpaid Hollywood Actors
(NEW YORK) — Eddie Murphy hasn’t given movie studios much bang for their buck in recent years.
According to Forbes magazine, Murphy is the most overpaid actor in Hollywood. It estimates that for every dollar he was paid for his last three films, they raked in an average of $2.30 at the box office.
Murphy’s most recent credits include Tower Heist and the box office flop A Thousand Words.
Katherine Heigl ranks second on the list, followed by Reese Witherspoon, Sandra Bullock and Jack Black.
In compiling its list, Forbes examined the actors’ last three films that opened in more than 2,000 theaters within the past three years. The films’ budgets and box office grosses — as recorded by BoxOfficeMojo.com — and the actors’ salaries for their work were then taken into account.
Here are the top 10 most overpaid actors in Hollywood, according to Forbes:
1. Eddie Murphy, returns $2.30 for every $1 paid.
2. Katherine Heigl, returns $3.40 for every $1 paid.
3. Reese Witherspoon, returns $3.90 for every $1 paid.
4. Sandra Bullock, returns $5 for every $1 paid.
5. Jack Black, returns $5.20 for every $1 paid.
6. Nicolas Cage, returns $6 for every $1 paid.
7. Adam Sandler, returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
8. Denzel Washington, returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
9. Ben Stiller, returns $6.50 for every $1 paid.
10. Sarah Jessica Parker, returns $7 for every $1 paid.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio