(WASHINGTON) — Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is feeling a bit better following the concussion she suffered early last week, but will continue to rest this week, State Department officials said.
“She is on the mend,” said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland. “We thank all of you for your good wishes, and she’s obviously going to be fine. But … she’s going to be working at home this week.”
A U.S. official tells ABC News that Clinton is feeling more “like herself” and would like to go back to work, but doctors have advised it may take several weeks and want the secretary to rest. That is standard for concussion treatment.
Clinton originally fell ill from a stomach virus following a whirlwind trip to Europe at the beginning of the month, which caused such severe dehydration that she fainted and fell at home, said the State Department. According to the official, the secretary had two teams of doctors, including specialists, examine her. They also ran tests to rule out more serious ailments beyond the virus and the concussion. During the course of the week, Clinton was on an IV drip and being monitored by a nurse, while also recovering from the pain caused by the fall.
Nuland said the decision to cancel Clinton’s schedule this week was made on Saturday morning after consulting with her doctors.
The secretary was set for a full week of events and work commitments, including testifying before the House Foreign Affairs and Senate Foreign Relations committees on Thursday, following the release of the State Department’s internal investigation on the consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya in September. Deputy Secretaries of State Bill Burns and Tom Nides will testify in her place.
The investigation, conducted by an appointed Accountability Review Board, was ordered by Clinton in October. Nuland told reporters Monday that the board has completed its work. She said Secretary Clinton received the report on Monday and is reviewing it at home.
Congressional committee members will receive the full, classified report before being briefed on Wednesday by the board’s chair, Ambassador Thomas Pickering, and member Admiral Mike Mullen in a closed session.
House Foreign Affairs chair Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., said in a statement on Saturday that while the committee accepts Burns and Nides’ presence at the hearing, she expects there will be questions surrounding the attack that will at some point require “a public appearance by the Secretary of State herself. ”
Secretary Clinton has sent letters to the chairs of both committees making it clear that she is open to further meetings after the holidays, when Congress is back in session and she is feeling better, said Nuland.
“She was ready to testify, she very much wanted to, she was preparing to, and except for this illness, she would have been up there herself.”
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Tom Kludt, CNN
Mike Price, EastIdahoNews.com
Brooke Baldwin, CNN