Ten Healthy Tips to Start Off the New Year
(NEW YORK) — This is the time of year when many of us resolve to lose weight and exercise more.
Here are simple, painless steps you can take to get started on this path to lifelong success:
- Give your refrigerator and pantry an overhaul. Stock up on healthy foods.
- Leave the junk foods at the grocery store where they are not in easy reach and never go grocery shopping hungry.
- Learn how to read labels. An educated consumer is a healthy consumer.
- Deprivation leads to overindulgence. Treat yourself to small portions of the higher-calorie foods on occasion.
- Learn how to cook with less fat, salt and sugar. Healthy food can be both nutritious and delicious.
- If you have a setback, keep moving on. Lifestyle changes do not happen overnight.
- Watch your portions. Calories are still at the core of weight loss and weight gain.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes (cardiovascular and resistance training) most days of the week.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Chose water and seltzer over other beverages.
- Accept the fact that there are no quick fixes. Visualize success and take it one day at a time.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio