(LONDON) — Reports that George Clooney has been dropped as the face of the coffee brand Nespresso are false, says its maker.
On Wednesday, The Sun reported that Clooney was being dropped as a Nespresso brand ambassador in ads overseas after seven years, and would be replaced by Penelope Cruz, who is the face of the company in ads that run in the United States.
The newspaper went so far as to quote insiders as saying Nespresso, which is owned by Swiss food giant Nestlé, might ask its customers to vote for a new spokesperson when Clooney’s contract expires.
However, a statement released later on Wednesday by Nestlé said, “Recent reports regarding the longstanding relationship between George Clooney and Nespresso are unfounded.”
The statement continued, “George Clooney continues in his role as Nespresso Brand Ambassador. We are pleased with the relationship that we have built together over the last seven years.”
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com
Eric Levenson, CNN
Madison Park, Keith Allen and Andreas Preuss, CNN