Tax Tip: Tax Relief for Disaster Areas


0  Updated at 3:33 am, April 10th, 2013 By: ABC Digital
Share This Story

Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Millions of people were affected when Superstorm Sandy blew through about a third of the country last fall.  Couple that with hurricanes that hit the South and wildfires that spread in the West, and it’s likely that many taxpayers this year will be asking what disaster area deductions they can take.

As Eric Smith with the IRS explains, taxpayers can claim losses in the year the disaster happened, or on the previous year’s taxes.

“If you’re in the disaster area, given that it happened in 2012, you can do it on 2012, on the return you’re filing now, or in some cases, people might find it advantageous to go back and amend a 2011 return and claim it for that year,” he says.

Doing so can benefit people who already know the loss isn’t covered by their insurance, Smith notes.

“It gives them the opportunity to file right away and get some early tax benefit,” he says.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Stories You May Be Interested In:

King’s closing all stores by end of the year

21 Feb 2017 staff

McDonald’s Creates Re-engineered Straws for Shamrock Shake

24 Feb 2017

Nate Eaton,