Three Naval Academy Football Players Facing Rape Charges
(ANNAPOLIS, Md.) — The U.S. Naval Academy says it has plans to charge three football players in connection with the rape of a female midshipman that allegedly took place in April 2012.
After a lengthy investigation, the school’s superintendent has referred the case for the military’s equivalent of a grand jury, known as Article 32.
“The initial NCIS investigation has been completed and reviewed. The superintendent has decided to send this case to Article 32 proceedings,” U.S. Naval Academy spokesman John Schofield said Monday.
The accuser, who has not been named, reported the sexual assault after attending an off-campus party at a location known as the “football house,” according to Military.com. She said she was informed by friends and though social media that she had been sexually assaulted while incapacitated at the party.
All three football players, who have also not been named, remain at the Naval Academy, where one senior was kept from graduating on May 24, the site reports.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio